12th Sunday after Pentecost
Just these lines, my friends …
… to say that I’ve been taking some additional vacation days. Karen and I traveled to Nashville to be with our daughter MacKenzie in an annual event for the college women’s ministry she leads called Delight. I’m writing to you from the Catholic Conference Center in Hickory. In an hour I begin a 72-hour silent retreat. I’ll see you on Sunday.
This past Sunday, Pastor Brad shared our 5th and final message in the worship series, “Why I am Enthusiastically a United Methodist Christian.” Click here to watch the powerful music and Pastor Brad’s outstanding sermon Because I Want to Make a Difference.
I hope you’ll take a few minutes to watch my devotional for this week. It is really a story that comes out of the 1924 World Series. Please click here to watch You’re Out.
We continue to monitor closely the rise in COVID statistics in our area and our congregation. Please see Pastor Paul’s update to staff this morning following Bishop Leeland’s protocol update yesterday. In the spirit of loving God and loving all, and John Wesley’s principle of doing no harm, we offer the following:
When indoors on our MUMC site, we continue to ask all persons to wear face coverings over your nose and mouth, especially if you are within six feet of a child or someone you know is unable to be vaccinated.
In addition, we encourage you to consult with your doctor about getting vaccinated, if you haven’t already. This will help mitigate the spread and mutation of the virus.
Finally, we remind everyone that online worship continues to be a viable and safe way to join us in worship. We give thanks for the vital role that worship plays in this church and your spiritual life.
Important Dates for Your Calendar
- August 17 – Community Forum at Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church, 7 pm.
- August 21 – Our 6th Annual Hug-A-Cop Event at Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church. Drop in 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm for wonderful food and around the table conversations with friends from Mt. Moriah, First Baptist Matthews, Cross and Crown Lutheran and Matthews Presbyterian. All of this to say thank you to law enforcement in our community.
- August 20 – United Kids Parking Lot Kick-Off Party
- August 22 – Back to school/church celebration, including Blessing of the Backpacks, Introducing New Members, Promotion Sunday for Kids & Youth, Covid Vaccination Clinic 8:30-12:30, United Youth Kick-Off in the afternoon.
- August 29 – 5th Sunday Fellowship with our friends from Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist. Register here by August 21.
- September 12 – Our 8:15 am worship service will return.
This Sunday in Worship
We invite you to join us in person or online this Sunday at 9:30 am (contemporary), 11:00 am (traditional) or 12:30 (Spanish – in person only).
In our Spanish-speaking CCH community, Pastor Roldan’s sermon is Do Not Neglect Your Towel from John 13:1-5.
At 9:30 am and 11:00 am, Pastor Corey will be putting God’s Word into words for us. Her sermon is titled Mirror Mirror from James 1:19-25 (MSG). .
You are the most loving, wise, and compassionate congregation I know. This is a church that chooses to do things that are inconvenient and difficult for the well-being of others. I am so grateful to be one of your pastors even in these continuously challenging times. By the way, may we never forget to remember … God does God’s best work in moments like this.
We are in this … together,
Dr. Charles (Chuck) W. Wilson II
Did you know that our newly updated playground was blessed by Pastor Paul on Sunday and children were able to play & test out all the new equipment? They all had a fun morning!