Welcome & Mission Statements
Matthews United Methodist Church embraces God's gift of diversity and rejoices in a loving, diverse community united in Jesus Christ! Our Church strives to live the love of Christ in all we do and affirms the sacred worth of all persons, deserving of every sacrament and rite. We affirm and celebrate individuals of every sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, physical and intellectual abilities, economic status, political perspective, age, family composition, country of origin and citizenship status. We all are made in Christ's image, worthy of God's love and grace! We recognize our differences and do not seek to erase them but to use them as a source of strength, as we journey together toward greater understanding, mutual respect, and love for each other, while humbly serving our God.
Matthews United Methodist (MUMC) is a community of people committed to Jesus Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit, united in the love of God, and called to make that love real to others, through how we ...
- REACH people in the name of Christ,
- TEACH everyone to be fully devoted disciples of Christ,
- PRAISE God through worship and in everything we do,
- SERVE others, as Christ taught us, to relieve suffering in the world.
In the Gathering Space of our sanctuary carved in granite are these words of vision: to become an all-inclusive Christian community which lifts high the Cross and shares the love of Jesus.
We seek to offer to our community an expression of the Christian faith that is at the center of our United Methodist tradition, which is as follows:
- We are a Disciple-Making People of God - First and foremost, we are dedicated to the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- We are a Deeply Rooted People of God - We find commonality in our rich history, sacraments & values.
- We are a Faithful People of God - We are devoted to an ongoing, meaningful journey of discipleship.
- We are a Diverse People of God - All belong and will be loved in Matthews United Methodist Church. All will be heard, respected and engaged. All will be free to develop their personal relationship with God and to serve fully in the ministry of Jesus.
- We are a Justice-Seeking People of God - We challenge unjust systems and work to secure equal opportunities for all.
- We are a Resilient People of God - We persevere through trials and face tomorrow with God at our side.
- We are a Missional People of God - Helping our neighbors, near and far, is the embodiment of our faith in action.
- We are a Connected People of God - Our connection is strengthened by shared mission and core beliefs.
- We are a World-Changing People of God - We strive to make the world a better place for all people.
- We are a Generous People of God - We offer our gifts and resources to serve those in need, both near and far.
- We are a Committed People of God - Our community of faith is steadfast, loving and supportive.
- We are a Jesus-Seeking People of God - We cherish our deepening relationship with God through the love of Jesus Christ.
- We are a Spirit-Filled People of God - The Holy Spirit works within us, transforming our hearts and lives.
Means of Grace (Rule of Life)
To live into our faith and values, we need to bring intentionality and purpose to every day - and that's where John Wesley's (the founder of our Methodist movement) means of grace comes in to support us. This is our way of creating tangible habits that support our heart's intentions.
- I will practice a persistent pattern of prayer. My relationship with God in prayer is at the center of everything I say and do.
- I will maintain a daily practice of study and reflection with the Bible. I am constantly looking for the way the Bible speaks to me.
- I will use the gifts God has given me to serve others as my way of participating in God's transformation of the world.
- Because God loves people enough to give his Son for them, I will love people enough to invite them to experience God's love and become disciples of Jesus.
- I will live out my discipleship with other disciples who support me and hold me accountable for my continued growth.
- I will worship weekly in the gathered congregation of followers of Jesus. It takes priority on my calendar. It sets my direction for the rest of the week.
- I will practice the biblical discipline of tithing, giving the first 10% of my income to God's work as the starting point of my life of generosity.