Featured image for “The Sun Does Shine”
Read More
 Community
 Global Impact
 Just These Lines
 Leadership
 Worship

The Sun Does Shine

18th Sunday after Pentecost in Ordinary Time/World Communion Sunday/September 30, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that I hope you saw my interview on Sunday with Suzanne Pugh (President/CEO of Aldersgate: A United Methodist Retirement Community) as a part of our worship service and the My 95 worship series. You can watch here. You’ll be glad...
Featured image for “Depression in a Pandemic”
Read More
 Community
 Global Impact
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Prayer
 Support
 Worship

Depression in a Pandemic

17th Sunday after Pentecost in Ordinary Time/September 23, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that we deeply apologize to anyone who was not able to view our online worship this past Sunday. As you know, we are taking advantage of free streaming websites in an attempt to reach as many people as possible. Those sites can...
Featured image for “Parenting: Circus or Theater”
Read More
 Community
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Support

Parenting: Circus or Theater

The 14th Sunday after Pentecost in Ordinary Time/Labor Day Sunday/September 2, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that Sunday was a wonderful day in worship. Since I’m in quarantine (taking precautions), I participated online and loved it. No, it’s not like being present in our sanctuary, but I’m thankful for the connection it allows us to...
Featured image for “Patient Trust”
Read More
 Community
 Gratitude
 Growth
 Hope
 Just These Lines
 Prayer
 Worship

Patient Trust

11th Sunday after Pentecost/Ordinary Time/August 12, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that in the past few days two families have joined our Church: Joe and Christie Thomas (Sienna,10) and Mike and Alix Arndt (Andrew, 18, Daniel,16, Caroline, 13, and Abigail, 10).  By the way, Alix is a part of our staff community here at Matthews...
Featured image for “A Common Theme in Scripture”
Read More
 Community
 Generosity
 Global Impact
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Worship

A Common Theme in Scripture

10th Sunday after Pentecost/Ordinary Time/August 5, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say Karen and I are on our way to Shawnee, KS where we will be moving her mother into full nursing care. I know it will be difficult and unsettling, but it is the right thing to do. As I write (Monday), we’re in Paducah,...
Featured image for “Graduation Sunday – Passing the Baton”
Read More
 Community
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Prayer
 Support
 Worship
 Youth

Graduation Sunday – Passing the Baton

9th Sunday after Pentecost/Graduation Sunday July 29, 2020 … to say that we’ve been at this virtual thing for 20 Sundays now. Who could have imagined? I am wildly grateful for all who are creatively putting together connections for us: Zoom book studies, Zoom Sunday School classes, online Town Halls (Watch July 27 Event!), drive-in movie nights, Sunday worship and...
Featured image for “How Long, Oh Lord?”
Read More
 Community
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Support
 United Kids
 We Are Matthews

How Long, Oh Lord?

7th Sunday after Pentecost/July 22, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that I had the great privilege of officiating two Memorial Services this week. First of all, I traveled to the beautiful Western North Carolina Veteran’s Cemetery in Black Mountain on Friday, July 17, to officiate at the Memorial Service of Dr. Joel Vickers. The service...
Featured image for “John Wesley & The Washington Post”
Read More
 Community
 Global Impact
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Support

John Wesley & The Washington Post

7th Sunday after Pentecost/July 15, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say that we are right in the middle of one of our great summertime rituals, Rainbow Express Camp. This year it looks different (virtual), but nonetheless is filled with beaming campers and energy-filled volunteers. What a week! You’ll get to hear from a few of them...
Featured image for “Thankful in the Tough Times”
Read More
 Community
 Gratitude
 Hope
 Inspirational
 Just These Lines
 Thankful
 Worship

Thankful in the Tough Times

6th Sunday after Pentecost/July 8, 2020 Just these lines, my friends … … to say I hope you’ve had the opportunity to view the wonderful GodStory from Lauren Smith. We shared it in worship on Sunday, July 5 for the first time. Lauren and her husband John have three children: Jackson and twins, Evan and Brady. They have been a part...